Monday, July 18, 2011

Cake Baking in Texas

Well Maternity Leave has come to an end. My friend Brandi was throwing a gender reveal party and needed a cake for this special day. Her and her hubby went to the doctor and brought me the sealed envelope! I was so excited to be the first to know!!

Here's what the invitations that Monica made looked like: (I love these!!) AND here's a LINK TO HER SITE if you need invitations for anything let her know! She's pretty amazing!


So I went to Michaels and bought EVERYTHING cake-wise that they sold. (ok not really but it felt like it) Until now I've always used Sarah's supplies AND I've always had Sarah and Marlene by my side during cake making! So I bought 3 cake pans and decided to use the biggest one since I had to feed 25 people.

Well once I went to put it in the oven I realized...it didn't fit!!! I had to turn the oven racks upside down and backwards to get it to fit! Here's a pic of the giant cakes!


That's a sketch of the cake on an 8x10 sheet of paper to give you an idea how big the cakes were!


Here's a pic of the carved cake with the PINK (yep it's a GIRL!) icing! They have a precious little boy and now they're expecting a little girl! YAY! That's so exciting!


After trying to stack the cakes and make it a double decker and after the top one cracking in half and falling OFF I went with a single layer cake instead. (It was still big) I don't know what I was thinking trying to make it so dang big! God had other plans and just when I thought "how the heck am I going to fix this" He made it quite clear that the solution was simple...ONE LAYER!! So after 2 stressful days of baking and decorating (Thank you sooo much to Monica for bringing me coffee, my family for babysitting, my mom for coming home during her lunch break, and my dad for helping me ALL day in any and every way possible- he now hates cake ha!) here's the final product. Sarah and Marlene...I really needed you guys, but in the end I hope I still made you proud!


A close up of the secret onesie cake!


Congrats Brandi and Keith! We are so excited for you guys! We can't wait to meet your precious new baby GIRL!

1 comment: