Ok so as many of you know...I don't know how to cook. Ok maybe it's not that I don't know HOW to cook. I have cooked before. It's more that I don't have the patience to cook. I would rather bake and I would rather run a mile and I'd rather just have ice cream for dinner :-)
Either way, I realize I NEED to cook. I want Ty & Tabor to enjoy my cooking and I want to eat healthy meals. SO...I asked Sarah to help me out.
I am currently enrolled in the Sanders Institute of Culinary Arts or SICA ha
Anyway, Sarah has given me a few assignments and I've currently completed 2 out of 4. I'll blog about #1 as soon as I get the pics uploaded.
For now I'll update everyone on meal #2 and await my grade under the comments. Yes you will all know my grade...gulp.
Ok for meal #2 I made Pesto Salmon with rice & asparagus and thank you Flo for the fruit plate that served as our yummy dessert.
Makes: 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 fillet and 1/3 c rice
Note: This recipe assumes rice is already cooked
2 c fresh spinach leaves
1/2 c basil leaves
1/4 c fat-free, low sodium chicken broth
1 T olive oil
1/4 t salt
3 garlic cloves, peeled
2 (6 oz) salmon fillets, skinned
2/3 c hot cooked brown rice
1. preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Place the first 6 ingredients in a food processor or blender, and process until the mixture is smooth. Spoon 3 tablespoons pesto into bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with salmon fillets, and spread fillets with remaining pesto.
3. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork.
Ok the challenges:
- I have no idea how to skin salmon
- I tripled the recipe because I cooked for 5 adults and wanted 1 leftover for Ty's lunch. SO I needed a LOT of Basil and my mom's basil plant has seen better days so my dad went to the store (thanks dad!) and bought 2 more basil plants. :-) I completely destroyed one (looking back I probably should've taken leaves from both instead of just one) Anyway, I am going to water them both and see if they grow.
The sad little Basil plant:
- Dad also had to go get more Spinach because mine had wilted and I had only bought enough for 1 recipe.
- I used white rice instead of brown
- I made my own asaparagus concoction. I put them in foil and added butter, olive oil, lemon juice and salt & pepper and baked them alongside the salmon for about 30min.
- Everyone loved it!
Ok Chef Sarah grade me!
Light The World This Christmas
1 week ago